Born To Be A Movie Reviewer

Finally. At Last. A real place you can come to get REAL movie reviews. Don't trust what others say about a movie? Well you shouldn't. You should trust me.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I Love You Phillip Morris


Watched With: My Brother @ The Cathay (02/10)
Snacks: None
Genre: Drama / Comedy

This movie did not affect my sexual preference.

Steven Jay Russell (Jim Carrey) was a stand-up guy.
Good husband and father. Hard worker. Good with friends. Goes to church.
And then one day he discovered he is a gay man.

He moves to Miami and spends his time with his boyfriend Jimmy Kemple (Rodrigo Santoro) and his two dogs.
But Steven soon turns to a life of crime.. well.. more a life of cons to keep up with his extravagant lifestyle.
And then the law catches up with him and he is hauled off to jail.

It is in prison that he meets Phillip Morris (Ewan McGregor) and the two fall in love.
Steven is subsequently released but turns back to a life of con not only to get Phillip released from jail but also to convince him that he is successful and ultimately wants them to be together forever.

But one things leads to another and the results are unbelievable.
The best part - this really happened.

I did a bit of research when I got home and found this to be an incredible story that really took place.
And in the end, I realized this was not a Jim Carrey comedy as most people would expect.
It does have its comedic movies with Carrey's signature evident but this was ultimately a drama about redemption and was quite sad when I come to think about it.

A good watch if you're up for some good story-telling.
Don't expect to roll on the floor with laughter is all I'm saying.

Final Verdict:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home